Friday, January 23, 2015

Respect

I was asked to write about respect. Below in the definition of Respect. 
Respect:
: a feeling of admiring someone or something that is good, valuable, important, etc.
: a feeling or understanding that someone or something is important, serious, etc., and should be treated in an appropriate way
: a particular way of thinking about or looking at something

Respect is what we owe; Love is what we give.  
Philip James Bailey

Respect. Look at the definition. Respect has feeling. In order the respect someone you must have the feeling that it is good, important. We respect veterans for their sacrifice to our country. Even though I do not agree or particularly like President Obama, I respect the office. Why you may ask? Because it my duty as an American citizen.  The Bible speaks of this in Romans 13:1
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God

The second definition says, again feeling about something important. What is important in your life? Many will say family, children things like that. I have been on the disrespectful side of this and it shames me. I have not been the father and dad that I should have been and it shames me. I have not been the son I should have been, and it shames me. Many have judged me and have deemed me one that cannot be respected. Today I strive to be one that is worthy of respect. Respect is earned, daily. When you respect someone you cannot judge them. You respect their ability, their character, you respect something of value in their life. I hope someday I can be worthy of respect from the people I have wronged. 

The words Feeling and Important as used in the definition of respect. Why is that? Again I ask what do you hold important? I hold important the smile of my daughter and the funny grin of my son. I hold the love I have for them as being full of feeling and important. So I respect my children and what they mean to me. So I Respect that. I respect the LOVE they show me, and the LOVE I have for them. God has blessed me beyond measure. Not in worldly items, but in the blessings He gives me daily. 

God gives us the ability to seek out wisdom through Him. When we seek His favor, and walk in His will, we will begin to see the true joy of respect. I do not ask for your respect, I wish to earn it. Just as the quote says, " Respect is what we owe, Love is what we give". How true is that. As a Christian, it is my duty and obligation to give you respect. 1 Peter 2:17 (NIV) says,
Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
If we as Christians today will have the attitude to show love and give respect, our lives will be changed and in the process, we may help change the life of another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment